What do Anti-Lock Brakes Do?
If you’ve ever driven or witnessed a car sliding helplessly down the road, you know that skidding tyres are basically… useless. When tyres start spinning they are not getting needed traction, which makes braking extremely difficult. ABS steps in by preventing the wheels from locking up and the tyres from losing traction, thus preventing the skid.
if you would like more information on this service.
Grinding, squeaking or squealing brakes can indicate a problem with your car brakes that should be addressed. You should also take action if your brake pedal feels spongy or if your steering wheel is shaking. If you've noticed any of these common signs of brake problems, bring your car into Highway Auto Rockhampton. Your car brakes help ensure road safety and avoid collisions with other objects or vehicles on a daily basis and you must take care of this critical component of your car.
How Does ABS Work?
While the theory behind ABS is simple, the actual mechanism is a bit more complex.
- This system relies on speed sensors that constantly monitor the speed of the wheels.
- These sensors send data to the controller, which looks for any extremely rapid decelerations – this is the first sign that a wheel is about to lock up.
- If the controller senses an unnatural deceleration occurring, it uses a valve in the brake line to decrease pressure on that particular wheel. This causes an acceleration.
- The controller then increases pressure using a pump until the wheel decelerates again, this time less rapidly, at the same rate as the vehicle.
- It’s no longer necessary to “pump the brakes” because your ABS is essentially doing it for you, only much better, faster, and more accurately.
Brake Disc Rotor Examples
Safe Driving Goes Beyond ABS
When the roads are slippery, whether from a summer rain or winter snow, ABS can help prevent minor inconveniences and major accidents. That being said, there’s simply no substitute for safe driving and a well-maintained braking system.
While it’s an excellent safety feature, ABS will not work as effectively as the vehicle manufacturer intended when driving recklessly, or if your vehicle has low brake fluid or worn brake pads. Luckily, brake problems are no problem for our experienced technicians. If your brakes aren’t responding like they used to, schedule a brake inspection and service at Highway Auto Brakes Rockhampton.
Our technicians can help keep your brakes and anti-lock brake system in tip-top shape.